5.07.2011

you need this book...


Lately, i've been doing more and more research on natural products. I've talked with quite a few people about it, co-workers and friends, and the consensus seems to be that everyone is concerned about the products they use, but no one has a lot of information or resources. Enter the book, "There's Lead In Your Lipstick" by Gillian Deacon. This book is a life-saver - literally! Upon recommendation from a reader (thanks dagmara!) I ran out get this book and haven't been able to put it down since. It has all the information you need. Gillian goes over each type of product we use in our daily life, with information about all the toxins often in those products, as well as her recommendations to replace those items with a natural version. I now know where to get natural products for practically everything! She also includes tons recipes to make your own version of say facewash, scrub, lotion, perfume, masks, make-up remover... the list goes on! If you're interested in switching over all your products to natural ones, this book is an invaluable resource. I've been recommending it to everyone! And what's also pretty great about it? Gillian is a Canadian writer, so her recommendations are sold in Canada or available to order online. No disappointment over "We don't ship outside of the U.S." Gillian also has this handy wallet tip sheet you can print out and take with you're when your shopping.

I've ordered new face wash and lotion recently, which i'll review here just after a week of using the products. I'm also waiting for a new French Lilac perfume and bodywash to arrive. That one might be hard as I love ChloƩ perfume. I'll be looking into makeup next, as I just realized my pressed powder has talc as the first and most prominent ingredient (insert horrified look on face here - i've been using it for 6 years!)... so stay tuned!

7 comments:

leslie.conner said...

this is wonderful! I have a barnes and noble gift card... I think I know what I may buy with it!

Anonymous said...

You should also check out the book No More Dirty Looks- they have a great blog too!

Karyn McKinnon said...

I love that you are bringing awareness about trying to change little things (like applying makeup) to improve our lives for the better! I know what it's like to purchase the old stand by when it comes to foundation (because I've always worn it and afraid to try something new b/c I may not like the results for the price) that it may in fact come at a higher price, healthcare. Especially when I'm slathering my facial skin in it!!! I am so looking forward to your next blog posts & I think I will have to read this book as well!

:)

Amanda Keenan said...

"Death by Rubber Ducky" is another book that might change the way you look at cosmetics and such... and the cosmetic database is a good source of finding good products.. in case you were interested. I'm thinking of just just lavender essential oils and water in a spray bottle as "perfume"... seems easy enough.

Daniella said...

Amanda - I heard about that book too! I'm just about to read Gillian's other book "Green for Life" first... there's actually a recipe in that book for perfume... she said that mixing any essential oil with sweet almond oil to use like body lotion right after a bath or shower actually lasts all day and she's gotten a lot compliments on it. I think it's so great that that's all you need, you know? Slowly switching everything over! You and I will have to chat more about all this!

Daniella said...

Anon - Thanks! Will do!

Kyrie said...

these most recent posts are so helpful! i plan on spending the majority of the evening tomorrow scouring sephora for new cleaners and lotions. im also ordering this book right now. buying the "cheaper" and more mainstream products just arent worth it, especially if it has the potential to kill you. thank you for writing about it!