5.18.2011

going natural :: cleanser & cream...


Over the past little while i've tried out two different brands of facial cleanser and cream. I figured since these products are applied directly to the face, it'd be a good place to start next.

The first few products I tried were by Burt Bee's. Since Burt Bee's is so readily available everywhere (pharmacies, grocery stores, online), I thought it'd be good to try out first, while I was researching other products. I picked up the "Radiance Healthy Glow Kit", which contains travel sizes of their cleanser and lotion, including night cream, eye cream, and a shimmery lip balm. The cleanser is labelled 99% natural and the face lotion, 98.2%. I'm not exactly sure what non-natural ingredients make up those small percentages, but I am impressed that Burt's Bees chose to include that info on the label at all. I could see many companies just "rounding up" to 100%. The cleanser is sweet smelling, with little "jojoba beads and a fruit acid complex that help encourage normal skin cell turnover." It doesn't lather much, since it's without the chemical sodium laureth sulfate, but I really liked it. My skin didn't have that tight and dry feeling after using, and I felt like it did a good job of taking off my makeup.

What I did not like unfortunately, was the the face lotion. It almost felt dry, in a greasy, but tacky sort of way. It didn't feel great on my hands either after applying and I found myself having to wash my hands after. This could just be how it works with my particular skin, but with the body lotion being sooo wonderful, I was a little disappointed.

After doing some research, I decided to try out Pangea Organics' "Egyptian Calendula & Blood Orange" cleanser for all skin types, and the "Nigerian Ginger, Sweet Lavender & Thyme" cream for normal to combination skin types. Pangea's products are pricier than Burt's Bees at $28 and $36, but I definitely like them a whole lot better. The cleanser didn't leave my skin feeling dry or tight either, and I found it really soothed any red areas on my skin. I have fair skin, so I tend to get a little red sometimes, for who knows what reason, lol. I like it a lot so far though! It has a sweet smell, mixed with the floral scent of lavender.

The facial cream is also really nice. It has a bit of a strong medicinal scent when first applied, but nothing that really bothers me all that much. I'm thinking of trying the dry skin version next time though, as it's supposed to be more moisturizing, compared to the slight "matte" feel that the normal to combination kind leaves.

All in all, i'm really liking the soothing qualities of Pangea's products. Another great thing about the company is that they operate out of a wind powered 10,000 sq. foot factory and are said to be the largest organic products factory in the country. Their products are also available through Sephora, making them easy to find and purchase (although I purchased through their official website).

Let me know if you find any other cleansers or face creams that you like! I will still be on the lookout for new products, but sticking to Pangea for now! Next time i'll be reviewing two scrubs, one homemade (for real!) and the other by Pangea.

8 comments:

Basil B said...

If you're looking for natural products Liz Earle comes hugely recommended - it's a cult product over here in the UK. Link in the following:
http://basilbe.blogspot.com/2011/05/inspiration-liz-earle.html

Miz.November said...

This is really awesome. I don't know how many times I have turned down a new beauty product because I didn't want to spend the money on something that I wouldn't like. It's so hit-or-miss, isn't it? I had considered Burt's Bees moisturizer, but I'm glad to know that it's icky feeling. Thanks so much!

Sternberg Werke said...

13 years ago I startet to use Weleda-Products, my first was the nappy-changing cream for my first daughter. Then, step by step I testet a lot of other products and now I use them daily. The philosophie of Weleda is 100% natural and Bio, they have their own farmers round the world.
http://www.weleda.de/Naturkosmetik

Mavi said...

Hi!
I've been reading your blog for a while but I wouldn't dare to leave a comment until I saw this page: www.storyofstuff.com
I thought this might interest you. It also has a video about cometics that is just the topic of your lastest posts.
If you can, check it out, it's worth it.
And I would love to know what you thought about it.

This blog is an inspiration for me, so thank you :)
Have a nice weekend!
Mavi.-

leslie.conner said...

Always wanted to try Pangea organics... maybe I just will when I run out of my current face wash!

dagmara said...

just discovered this Canadian company
http://www.100percentpure.ca/default.asp
Looks promising

Karyn McKinnon said...

Can't wait to read about the homemade scrubs :). I love what you're doing, going natural in your beauty products, I don't have a lot of time to personally be trying (or spending lots of money on products that don't work) so I'm really interested in seeing what you have to write! Thanks for all the info :)
Take care,

K

LESAPEA MUSINGS said...

I've never heard of Pangea. But I'm willing to try it. Keep us posted on the cleanser and scrubs you find as well.

Lisa x