4.20.2011

going natural :: body lotion...


I decided to start the switch over to natural products with something easy - body lotion. There's a lot of options out there for body lotions, both natural and not-so-natural. Before I was using a certain "baby lotion" only to learn it has ingredients like strong skin irritants, possible carcinogens, parabens, BHT, synthetic dye produced from petroleum or coal tar sources and all kinds of other toxins... and it's considered baby lotion. Sigh... isn't that crazy? The whole reason I bought it was because I thought it would be gentle and now I feel quite mislead.

So, i've been wanting to try out Burt's Bees Milk & Honey Body Lotion for a while now. It's been getting great reviews in a few different magazines and it's 99% natural. I love it so far. It has a light honey scent that stays with you all day (very light, not perfumy or anything), and it really is moisturizing! It has all kinds of great ingredients like shea butter, coconut, grapeseed and olive oil, honey, vitamin E and much more. It's $12.99 (CAD) for 170g (70g bottle shown here), which may seem a lot to some people I imagine, but I just really think it's worth it for a better product. Sure I paid less than 5 bucks for the other lotion, but what exactly was I paying for? A bunch of synthetic ingredients? No thanks. I'm sticking to Burt's Bees on this one!

Photo: Burt's Bees, edited by myself

9 comments:

Hazel said...

This sounds great and I love bees so how can I not give this a go?

Paper Heart Girl said...

Ohh, that looks great! I use one of their other lotions, and I love it!xxxx

ApachesPrincess said...

I definitely agree with you on paying for the "real" and healthy products rather than paying less for products that aren't doing anything for ya! I'm not sure I would like the light honey smell, but I definitely would like to try it!

Vicky - Postcards From The Coast said...

I've used this every day as my facial moisturiser for the last 3 years and it's great stuff. Also, they do a repair serum that's ideal for dabbing around eyes and fine lines. :)

dagmara said...

I'm trying to do the same. I found it easy to switch soaps, shampoo and lotions but I'm still putting a lot of crap on my face in the form of makeup. nailpolish too I suppose. I also want to wean myself off highlighting my hair. Check out the book There's Lead in My Lipstick. It's not preachy but very enlightening.

Daniella said...

Vicky - I never thought of using it on my face! It's probably light enough for sure since it's a lotion... nice!

dagmara - I'm going to be looking into make up too and have already foudn a few that I might purchase... so i'll be sure to share here! Check out saffronrouge.com, it's like a Sephora for natural products, with tons of stuff, and reviews! Thanks for the book recommendation too!! I was looking for something to read up on :)

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

I'm getting flustered trying to find a cream for my face. Perhaps I will try. BTW .... I love your blog it's so inspiring.

Karyn McKinnon said...

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a great body lotion! I <3 Burt's Bees lip balm, it's always so smooth and I love the hint of mint!

Ashley said...

I love this lotion! I have very dry ecsematic skin and this does the job. Also, if you have very dry skin, and this lotion is out of your budget, a good alternative is coconut oil. Its less expensive if bought in bulk online or at a farmers market and incredibly good for you. Works as a natural sunscreen as well. Great blog, very inspiring!