2.17.2011

steel-cut oats :: genius idea...




Oatmeal is one of those breakfasts (or snack) that is perfect for filling you up to tide you over until the next meal, at least I find that's the case for me... plus, you can top it with so many different combinations of nuts, berries, natural sweeteners, etc., that the options are limitless!

I've always been meaning to try steel-cut oats though, as opposed to quick-cooking oats. The nutritional difference between the two seems to be pretty debatable between different publications and research online so I won't really go into it, but with steel-cut oats being less processed and chopped up, that just makes sense to me as the better option of two good things.

The problem is though, that they take too long to make first-thing on a busy weekday morning, (as least for me). So when I saw this idea over on Naturally Nina, to make them overnight in a slow cooker, I couldn't help but think, genius! Ready to go as soon as you get up, add your toppings, and breakfast is served. Great idea, right?

Photos & Recipe via Naturally Nina

6 comments:

Miz.November said...

I'm not much for oatmeal, but that looks really good.

dagmara said...

They do take longer to cook but are so worth it. I can't eat quick oats anymore because steel cut taste so much better and keep you fuller. What I do is make a pot one or two evenings a week and then refrigerate it and in the mornings I just reheat a small portion with a little bit of milk in the microwave. My dogs love it too!

Crystal said...

I've been meaning to try out steel-cut oats for a while now, but was always put off by how long it seemed to take! I will definitely be trying it with a slow cooker now. Thanks for the tip!

I love dried cranberries in my oatmeal too! So delicious!

NATASHA _ KOWALAK / BL0G said...

this looks delicious. and the colours are stunning

bisQue♥ said...

Yum! I love oats in the morning. I don't know why some people don't like oatmeal though. Its so nice for winter.

Nicole Franzen said...

yummy, love oats, we eat them almost every morning. Never gets old.